Kampala, Uganda – September 19, 2023 – Although 80% of the global population lives in low- and middle-income countries), high-income countries account for 90%…
TREATING DEPRESSION AT SCALE IN AFRICA
- Globally, 280 million people are living with depressive disorders.
- In low-income countries, approximately 85% receive no treatment.
- StrongMinds provides free group talk therapy to low-income women and adolescents with depression in Uganda and Zambia.
- We scale our reach through peer-to-peer therapy, public education, and partnerships.
- Women who complete our therapy achieve clinically significant reductions in depression symptoms, restoring hope for themselves and their families.
Climate-related environmental disasters and infectious disease outbreaks are increasingly affecting mental health in Africa. Safety concerns and loss of life, property, or livelihoods can trigger or worsen mental health disorders in the aftermath of a catastrophe.