StrongMinds is seeking an experienced and motivated Marketing and Communications Manager to work closely with the Executive Director (ED) on a wide range of exciting areas as the organization is experiencing a substantial level of growth.
Marketing & Communications Manager
StrongMinds is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, N.J, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world — depression. StrongMinds is rapidly scaling a cost-effective model to treat depression among women in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited. Our goal is to treat 2 million depressed African women by the end of 2025.
We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years.
About the Role
The Marketing and Communications Manager will execute StrongMinds’ marketing and communications strategy with hands-on management of activities that help to elevate StrongMinds as a thought leader in global mental health. Key initiatives will include: creating marketing collateral for programs and events, engaging in public relations and branding activities, and managing the organization’s web site and social media functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Marketing Collateral and Staff Materials
- Create and oversee the production of high-quality marketing collateral and staff materials.
- Projects include: annual report, quarterly report, fundraising newsletter, informational one-pagers, infographics, PowerPoint presentations for staff, and StrongMinds Toolkit.
Social Media/Web Site
- Maintain social media/web site policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all laws and privacy best practices.
- Create content for and maintain the StrongMinds’ web site as well as our presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram in line with the marketing and communications strategy.
- Analyze performance metrics and modify administration to maximize impact/reach.
- Serve as lead contact for media requests and coordinate responses.
- Write and distribute timely press releases.
- Publicize major events and activities including ED speaking engagements.
- Help draft scripts and talking points for events and donor presentations.
- Organize and maintain marketing/communications materials to include photos, articles, and press clippings.
- Maintain a database of media contacts.
- Cultivate relationships with stakeholders including media, advocacy organizations, and StrongMinds’ supporters.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to raise awareness of the impact of depression, depression treatment and the mission of StrongMinds.
- Work closely with fundraising and program staff to help them meet their objectives.
- Meet regularly with external marketing and communications strategy consultant to revise strategy and planning as warranted.
- Source external resources as needed including graphic designers, photographers/videographers, web developers, promotional material providers and printers.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or relevant discipline with 5 years of demonstrated experience in the field or a related area.
- Experience with planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, marketing literature, event collateral, public relations pieces.
- Proven track record of effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated success integrating and leveraging social media.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and WordPress.
- Organized and detail-orientated.
- Able to work independently.
- Flexible team player able to work in a start-up environment.
Minimum Education Required:
How to Apply
Please send résumé with a brief and thoughtful cover letter to: email@example.com mentioning Marketing & Communications Manager in the subject.
StrongMinds Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.