StrongMinds Uganda seeks to fill the vacant position of ICT/DIS Manager (1) and applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced nationals. This is a one year contract renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
ICT/DIS Manager, StrongMinds Uganda
StrongMinds Uganda (SMU) is a fast growing and dynamic social enterprise, committed to improving the Mental Health of Women in Africa by providing life-changing mental health services to impoverished African women. StrongMinds Uganda currently operates in 4 districts of Kampala, Wakiso, Mukono and Iganga.
About the Role
The ICT/DIS Manager will take the lead in developing an electronic data handling systems within the organization, and capacity building of staff and partners on the use and management of electronic data system within StrongMinds Uganda. S/he will provide guidance on all ICT needs, develop, manage and maintain the ICT environment and infrastructure in line with the SMU strategy, policies and guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Play a leading role in the development of the data systems architecture and follow any national/local strategy guidelines and principles for all information management systems.
- Design, develop, manage and cost-effectively implement DIS and other systems to ensure effective and efficient access to data and strategic information where it is needed for decision making.
- Oversee, manage and administer directly the ICT operations including computer systems operations, technical support, data control, systems security, website development, database management, telecommunications and IS training.
- Work closely with the M&E Manager in making decisions about ICT technical and systems development and ensure timely development and/ or delivery of new systems to meet the program needs.
- Develop and implement ICT policies including but not limited to technical priorities, standards and procedures.
- Write java scripts that customize the DIS system to the specific needs of SMU.
- Configure server and database to ensure that DIS is available, as a central database, to remote users in the USA, field/villages.
- Develop scripts and queries to answer specific requests from the systems users.
- Develop, optimize and implement the database backup strategy.
- Develop risk register for SMU DIS, to prepare for emergency situations.
- In partnership with M&E Manager:
- Establish standard operating procedures, data quality control procedures and relevant data management and systems maintenance procedures,
- Monitor and evaluate use of protocols that support data integrity and data collection processes, and
- Coordinate mobile based data collection, management and cleaning and establish systems to institutionalize these systems.
- Code, document, test programs and resolve related problems.
- Develop SMU technology capacity through skills transfer which will enable staff to manage DIS and data use.
- Strengthen and harmonize routine DIS and capabilities through building capacity in quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of information for program planning and management by stakeholders.
- Proactively train staff on use of data collection application, system dashboard, report generation, system updates and hardware.
- Configure and maintain cloud-based data collection platform and backend database.
- Configure and install user computers and tablets.
- Provide input and technical expertise relating to the procurement, installation and repair of computer systems, services, accessories, hardware, software, mobile phones, etc.
- Ensure smooth, consistent and sufficient ICT systems capacity for organizational needs and provide effective project management and thorough documentation of technical projects.
- Ensure appropriate physical security and storage arrangement for both hardware and data banks and monitor the usage of ICT consumables and advise management on staff needs.
- Function as the primary liaison between system stakeholders and technology service vendor(s); ensure that vendors are meeting the needs of StrongMinds at a competitive price.
- Plan and account for the unit’s expenditures and ensure costs are captured in proposals.
- Coordinate preparation of quarterly and annual program plans, budgets and reports in accordance with SMU guidelines and donor requirements.
- Work with Internal Audit and Finance units to ensure accountability for ICT expenditures.
- Seek out and inform staff and leadership of new trends and opportunities in the technology landscape
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering or Mathematics
- 5-8 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Have experience developing applications for mobile devices
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience with data analysis and data visualization languages R/Matlab/Python
- Strong capabilities in MS Windows Server (2003, 2008, 2012); MS Windows 7/8/10; Office 365, Lync; TCP/IP Networking, DNS, DHCP, VPN (remote access), WAN; network security, MS SQL
- Have Experience with HMIS, Uganda DHIS2, other open source software platforms
- Have experience conducting technology business analysis
- Have expertise in project management and working with field staff data collection; experience working in technology implementations in health, agriculture or another related sectors is a plus.
- Be eligible to work in Uganda; experience working in remote settings with limited connectivity a plus
- Be willing to travel to field locations in and outside Uganda as necessary.
Candidates must also have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to pass on information clearly to non-technical and remote staff
- Commitment to frequent and timely communication with local and international-based colleagues
- Evidence of leadership and management experience with tangible positive outcomes
- Strong and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision
- Interest and experience working in digital health and a commitment to working on women’s mental health issues
How to Apply
If you fit this role and are looking to be part of a dynamic and growing team, please send a sample of your technological portfolio, a short Cover Letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject as ‘ICT/DIS Manager’.
The closing date for receiving applications is 10th February, 2018
StrongMinds Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.