The COVID-19 virus is spread through droplets expressed through the mouth and noise when breathing, talking, coughing or sneezing, and through hand-to-hand contact with an infected person. It’s important to take the following protective measures:
How to I protect myself against coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Avoid physical contact when greeting another person.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow. Do not spit in public.
- Maintain a distance of 1-2 meters between you and anyone outside your household.
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Stay at home as much as possible. Avoid unnecessary trips in public.
- Wear a mask when you leave your home (ages 2 and older). People who have the virus can be contagious up to 14 days before they start showing symptoms, so wearing a face mask can prevent transmission during this time.
- Wear a mask inside your home if you or members of your household have symptoms.
- Get your COVID-19 information from reputable sources. Do not spread rumors. You may wish to sign up for the World Health Organization’s WhatsApp updates.
- If you have symptoms, such as fever, dry cough, or loss of your sense of smell, contact a medical provider.