StrongMinds Uganda (SMU) is a National not for profit NGO affiliated to StrongMinds US. StrongMinds is a young dynamic rapidly growing organization whose focus is to “Treat Depression at Scale in Africa “one of the silent killers. Since inception about two and half years ago, SMU has treated well over 7,000 patients. In pursuit of its goal and 2017 annual objectives and impact, SMU is doubling the size of its Uganda based work-force. Therefore, SMU is looking for a Monitoring and Evaluation Manager that can excel in a fast-paced, results-driven environment.
Position: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will be a strategic, key member of the senior management team of StrongMinds Uganda. The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and evaluating initiatives, programs and projects, both new and established, providing efficiency and success from start to finish. S/he will be responsible for establishing, modifying and monitoring key performance indicators to report and record physical progress for specific programs and projects within all StrongMinds’ programs. The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will play a critical role of overseeing regular project progress reports and will provide (or update) the organization and the department with a vision, framework and strategic plan, specifically for M&E unit.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager reports to the Executive Director, StrongMinds Uganda. S/he will be based in Kampala, StrongMinds Uganda’s Ntinda Office.
- Keep abreast of developments in program changes and progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and results.
- Suggest ways to facilitate data collection and the flow of data within Program field teams.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in existing data collection and management systems and propose solutions.
- Perform field visits to ensure the quality of data collected by field staff and to verify the accuracy of reported data as well consistency in quality of services.
- Analyze changes and patterns in key performance indicators ((KPI) data and performance reports in order to make recommendations to Program staff.
- Ensure that donors, partners, and Senior Management data queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Implement and participate in program and project evaluations
- Lead M&E system and process development, creating a framework and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of SMU project activities.
- Propose strategies to increase data use and demand amongst Program staff.
- Support project/program staff on ways to properly document, organize and capture program progress.
- Create manage and revise tools and data collection procedures (eg. logical framework, project performance tracking, indicators, data flow chart, M&E manuals)
- Review the performance of existing management information systems to help identify potential modifications or resources.
Management of the M&E team
- Manage a team of M&E in SMU by, delineating their responsibilities in order to support programmatic activities of SMU Projects and ensure these are monitored and evaluated in a timely, efficient and effective matter.
- Identify the M&E training needs of the M&E team and work with the team and other collaborators to plan and implement training that meets these needs.
- Coach, train, and mentor M&E Officers with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the M&E team and providing professional development guidance.
- Coordinate and provide refresher M&E training for program staff as needed, with the support of the Senior Management team.
- Provide (or update) the organization with a vision, framework and strategic plan for its M&E unit.
- Lead all M&E initiatives within StrongMinds Uganda Program.
- Prepare and ensure donor reports are of high quality and are submitted on time for this program.
- Establishing log frames, M&E work plans, and targets during the drafting of donor project proposals as well as throughout project implementation
- Review and analyze weekly reports to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and to enhance quality of reporting.
- Assess organizational and performance gaps within SMU program and report on corrective actions needed.
- Assist in the formulation of baseline measures and targets, during writing and set up of donor project proposals as well as throughout project implementation
- Formulate and implement key performance indicators (KPI) and deliverables for both new and established projects and monitor them throughout the duration of the projects
- Analyze indicators and performance, evaluate information and make recommendations.
- Clarify the core information needs of management and provide relevant and timely information to the Management.
- Implement and participate in program and project progress evaluation, survey and program follow up in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and results.
- Responsible for the implementation of these recommendations within Programs and projects
- Document the lessons learned and best practices of the SMU program and projects.
SMU is looking for a very proactive, professional and strategic thinker to drive the M&E function.
- Minimum of a Masters in Statistics, Economics, Demography.
- Post Graduate qualification in Research Monitoring and Evaluation, Public Health, Health Sciences and or Statistical social research. Project Planning and Management, Monitoring &Evaluation are added advantages
- Broad working knowledge of Project Management, Research, Documentation and Dissemination.
- At least 8-10 years of experience in providing technical assistance in the monitoring and evaluation of health development programs/ projects using community-based approaches in an NGO setting.
- Proven experience in quantitative and qualitative assessment and evaluation design, implementation and analysis techniques for development programs is essential
- Demonstrate expertise in related activities such as statistical analysis, impact evaluation, performance evaluations, instrument design and management training.
- Able to communicate complex ideas and analysis in lay person terms
- Able to communicate complex ideas and analysis in lay person terms
- Proven experience in global health with in-depth knowledge of at least one of the following programmatic areas: Depression, child health, reproductive health and family planning, non-communicable diseases, and/or health systems strengthening;
- Previous experience in proposal development ranging from capture management; partnering; research; recruitment; technical writing; and support to costing.
- Experience in operational research and international collaboration.
- Prior experience in setting up and managing health programme M&E systems
- Previous experience working with governments and local governments M&E systems.
- Skills in Integrated health programme development, Program/ Project evaluations; Interpersonal and people management; Leadership and team building, Strategy development, knowledge management, proposal and report writing, Database development and management.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required,
- Ability to effectively work in teams and embrace participatory approaches; Capacity to work in a fast-paced work environment on multiple tasks; Takes pride in the quality and integrity of s/he work; Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills;
- Competences in Strategic orientation, Analytical, Decisive, and Results oriented, Team leadership, Collaboration, Integrity.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of STRONGMINDS UGANDA
- Knowledge and ability to use appropriate statistical software packages is a MUST for this position.
StrongMinds is an equal opportunity employer that pays a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, experience, and responsibilities.
How to apply:
Send your letter of interest (strictly one page) with your curriculum vitae only to; email@example.com
Note: That the document should be in word, Times New Roman, Font 12 and not be more than 2MB.
Deadline: Friday, November 18th 2016, 5.00PM prompt.
If you do not hear from StrongMinds two weeks after closing date, consider your application not successful and due to the expected volume of applicants, we will not reply to all.