Position: Regional Finance and Administration Manager (RFAM)
Reporting to: Executive Director, StrongMinds Uganda
Location: Kampala, Uganda with 30% to other regions
Date: October 29th, 2019
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise that focuses on one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited, and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated nearly 60,000 women with depression in Uganda and has recently expanded into Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa, with a potential to serve millions in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. Our partners include Save the Children, BRAC, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE.
StrongMinds Uganda seeks to fill the vacant position of Regional Finance and Administration Manager, based in Kampala with 30% to other regions and applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced applicants. This is a one year contract renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
As member of the Senior Management Team, the Regional Finance and Administration Manager (RFAM), contributes to the overall success of StrongMinds’ strategic objectives by effectively managing the financial aspects of all East Africa field offices and operations. The RFAM will accomplish this through:
- Financial management, reporting and controls,
- Planning and budgeting,
- Grant management,
- Policies and systems development for finance and administration,
- Administrative oversight, and
- Finance and administration staff management, mentorship and development.
While closely working with field offices, partners and internal departments, the RFAM will serve as the primary resource for financial monitoring and operational compliance.
This position is designed to contribute technical expertise in the areas of Financial, Compliance and Risk Management in order to reach the ultimate goal of increased accountability and mitigation of risk within the Region.
Key Areas of Accountability
Financial Management, Reporting and Controls
- General Ledger. Take full responsibility for the accuracy of field office general ledgers.
- Controls. Implement effective internal controls, with segregation of duties, proper documentation and sign-offs, leveraging financial resource management systems.
- Financial Reporting. Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner to the Country Directors and the Senior Director of Operations in the US (monthly) and to the Boards of Directors (quarterly); clearly communicate trends, areas of concern, and variances to budget; forecast cash flow and build projections.
- Audit. Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and Boards Finance Committees; implement auditor recommendations.
- Procurement. Manage StrongMinds Uganda procurement function, including regular review of approved vendors, adherence to the procurement policy, engaging vendors through legal contracts where warranted, and chairing the procurement committee.
- Cash Management. Manage field office cash flow and forecasting to guarantee sufficient funds to meet operational requirements.
- Fixed Assets. Ensure that fixed asset procedures and depreciation policy are in place and disseminated for effective management of fixed assets while maintaining compliance with donor requirements and accounting standards.
- Statutory Compliance. Ensure organizational tax and legal compliance, enlisting third party professional advisors as needed.
Planning and Budgeting
- Lead and oversee the annual budgeting and planning process as well as the mid-year budget review in conjunction with the Country Directors and budget responsible department managers; review all financial plans and budgets; roll up individual budgets into a comprehensive field budget, providing analysis identifying the drivers of change relative to prior period.
- Monitor progress and changes and keep senior management team abreast of the organizations’ financial status.
- Ensure correct level of budget authority exists for each transaction.
- Manage financial aspects of budget development for new proposals.
- Brief department managers and finance staff on new grants including staff time allocations budget management, spend down requirements and allowed expenses. Provide ongoing guidance to finance and non-finance staff and coordinate efforts to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Implement a robust grant management system so that reporting, billing, and collection schedules are adhered to.
- Work with managers with grant budget responsibility to estimate fund requests on a timely basis to ensure resources are in place for carrying on project activities.
- Oversee all program and grants accounting, ensuring proper coding and allocation of all transactions.
- Ensure monthly effort reporting is prepared with major variances discussed with the Country Directors.
- Provide periodic meaningful analysis of program financial performance relative to grant requirements. Demonstrate creative problem solving to deal with variances and timing issues while remaining in compliance with grant agreements.
- Drive completion of financial reports for grants, including grant close-out and final reporting.
Policies and Systems Development for Finance and Administration
- Review and supervise the compliance with financial, administrative, asset management and fleet management policies and procedures. Make updates to existing policies as warranted to mitigate risks to the organization.
- Ensure that systems are in place for the control of all assets, funds, equipment, property, and facilities.
- Develop and implement any necessary new business policies and accounting practices as dictated by risk assessment or grant requirement.
- Manage administrative team and provide leadership.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Develop or review contracts, working with legal counsel as needed, for work with partners vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as per the StrongMinds Uganda polices and guidelines.
- Ensure fleet management, stock ordering and asset management are well coordinated.
Finance & Administration Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Support the development of an organizational culture that:
- reflects our core values,
- promotes accountability and high performance,
- encourages learning, creativity and innovation,
- frees up staff to deliver outstanding results for the people we serve, and
- strives to provide excellent service to our stakeholders.
- Manage finance and administration team by defining SMART performance expectations, providing leadership and technical support as needed, and giving regular feedback.
- Monitor and review performance and, in particular, hold staff accountable for meeting their success criteria and delivering on any improvement goals, taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
Competencies (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors)
- Com/BBA/BSc Econ with a Masters preferably in Business Administration, Finance & Accounting, Economics etc.
- Full professional qualifications such as ACCA, CPA, CIMA
Job related experience, knowledge and skills
- 10 years’ work experience in Finance, Accounting, or Auditing
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables, and balance sheet
- Sound knowledge of the relevant tax laws and other statutory obligations
- Solid knowledge of computer accounting packages, specifically QuickBooks Online and Sage Intacct. Hands-on-computer proficient skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proven knowledge of donor financial accounting and clear understanding of GoU and IAS/AFRS accounting requirements. Good understanding of Government budgets
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to analyze complex financial data and design and produce effective management information
- Strong budgeting and strategic planning abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships and perform effectively as a member of a team and as a team leader
- Strong planning, organizing and negotiation skills
- Capable of managing a team, prioritizing work and meeting tight deadlines, with minimal supervision
- Ability to foster a small, proactive team by motivating staff, working to build their skills, and providing support and advice
- Strong business acumen and the ability to contribute to strategic decisions
The successful Regional Finance and Administration Manager will be expected to embrace and model StrongMinds’ core values:
- We are people-focused
- We think big and act fast
- We are data-driven
- We do what we say and say what we do
- We believe in collaboration, not competition
Please send your application letter and CV only (attached as one document) indicating 3 referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th November, 2019 at midnight Uganda time. Please write ‘RFAM’ in the subject line of your email.
StrongMinds Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. StrongMinds does not ask for money at any stages of the recruitment process.
StrongMinds is committed to prioritizing the safety and wellbeing of children, young people and vulnerable population, therefore all successful applicants will be required to sign onto our Safeguarding/Child Protection policy, code of conduct & complete a Police check with Interpol.