Position: Program Associate
Reporting to: Senior Director of Programs
Location: Greater NYC / Maplewood, New Jersey
Date: May 23, 2019
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited, and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women by the end of 2025.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated nearly 50,000 women with depression in Uganda and has recently expanded into Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. Our partners include Save the Children, BRAC, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE.
Position: Program Associate
We are hiring a Program Associate to join our Program team at StrongMinds’ headquarters office. The Program Associate will report to the Senior Director of Programs and will work closely with all members of the StrongMinds US team, as well as with our teams in Uganda and Zambia. The successful applicant will provide critical planning, learning, research, and special project support to the Program team and to the wider organization.
This new role will enable StrongMinds’ ambitious growth trajectory as we scale our work across multiple countries, partners, and initiatives. The Program Associate will serve as the Senior Director of Programs’ right hand—ensuring that all projects in the field progress on time and on target, streamlining program operations and systems, and studying program data to generate new learnings and innovations. The candidate will interact closely with StrongMinds Uganda and Zambia staff, particularly with colleagues and consultants on our Program, Clinical, and Monitoring & Evaluation teams. This is an exciting position with strong advancement opportunities for a candidate who wishes to leverage her/his experience to support a fast-growing, mission-driven global social enterprise.
- Conduct analyses of field data, revise and recommend impact metrics, and perform fidelity and quality checks.
- Generate data-driven programmatic learnings and research hypotheses to pursue and analyze.
- Design templates for and lead performance tracking of program metrics and milestones, including implementation models, and annual and project-by-project forecasts to support planning and progress monitoring.
- Support program planning and budgeting and ensure program systems—including standard operating procedures, timelines, and templates—are up to date and relevant across field offices and projects.
- Work across teams to develop and support our organizational data collection application and dashboard functions.
- Conduct technical research, e.g. literature reviews, and monitor relevant global mental health publications to ensure the team is current on new developments.
- Research and write strategy memos and develop standard operating procedures supported by research and clinical norms.
- Work with Program and country teams to research and identify NGO partner prospects and cultivate/steward relationships.
- For select projects, work across teams to develop and support work plans, deliverables, and implementation schedules.
- Lead special projects and initiatives as they arise.
- Support StrongMinds’ fundraising initiatives, to include assisting with proposaldevelopment and donor reporting.
- Attend and represent StrongMinds at conferences and meetings.
- Conduct country/site visits.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
Skills, Abilities, and Experience Required:
In addition to the required Qualifications/Education, the successful candidate will possess the following skills, capacities, and experience:
- At least 5 and preferably up to 7 years’ professional experience, ideally working in the non-profit sector, consulting, data analytics, or a related field. Global health and/or mental health experience a plus.
- Experience working in international settings and across cultures.
- Demonstrated experience conducting impact evaluations and statistical analyses.
- Stellar MS Excel and statistical software skills, experience with project management software and CRM systems preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Capacity to work independently and to thrive in a fast-paced and results-orientedworkplace.
- Highly organized and analytical.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to synthesize important information efficiently and effectively.
- Experience in research and study design.
- Curiosity, a love for learning, and a world-class sense of humor.
- A knack for identifying a problem and mapping out the path to a solution.
‘The successful Program Associate will also be expected to embrace and model StrongMinds’ core values:
- We are people-focused
- We think big and act fast
- We are data-driven
- We do what we say and say what we do
- We believe in collaboration, not competition
Location and Travel
This position is based in the Maplewood, NJ offices of StrongMinds—a ~35-minute train ride from Penn Station, New York. Flexibility in work arrangements will be accommodated for an exceptional candidate. International and domestic travel may occur approximately once per quarter.
On/about July 30, 2019
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter and resume to Susan Ryan, Administrative Assistant, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.