Position: Partnership Director
Reporting to: Senior Director for Programs
Date: October 15, 2019
StrongMinds is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise that focuses on one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited, and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated nearly 60,000 women with depression in Uganda and has recently expanded into Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. Our partners include Save the Children, BRAC, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE.
Earlier this year, StrongMinds worked with Spring Impact, a nonprofit consulting firm that helps clients develop their replication strategies. Through this work, StrongMinds has identified the core components of our work to be implemented in partnerships, determined the critical and desirable characteristics for potential partners, and carried out financial modeling to understand how and when we reach cost recovery. The resulting strategy is now ready for a new team member to lead and execute.
Position: Partnership Director
The Partnership Director will be responsible for executing StrongMind’s partner replication strategy and will play a critical role as the organization begins to scale its mental health intervention—increasing the number of depressed people reached from nearly 60,000 to date to hundreds of thousands in the coming years. In this role, s/he will be responsible for identifying strategic NGO (and, in time, public sector) partners, cultivating and developing partnerships, and expanding replication projects across multiple countries. The Partnership Director will report to the Senior Director for Programs and will be the primary relationship manager for all StrongMinds partners. S/he will supervise a dedicated team while coordinating work across offices to ensure partner opportunities are successful and funded – and that new partners are retained and grown. S/he will also support partnership tool and system development. This position is perfect for the international development professional looking to expand his or her network and leverage new opportunities in support of a fast-growing, mission-driven global social enterprise.
- Lead organizational efforts and make significant progress on our scaling and replication strategy, establishing aggressive timelines and detailed activity plans.
- Assess opportunities and determine go/no go criteria and decisions in collaboration with colleagues.
- Set ambitious and achievable annual and multi-year replication targets, to include new partners in the pipeline, new agreements signed, and clients/individuals served.
- Develop country partnership and regional partnership strategic plans; work collaboratively to shape and strengthen organizational scaling and replication strategies, to include problem-solving and re-strategizing as needed.
- Identify and document key learnings and draw on experience to refine StrongMinds’ strategies.
Partnership Cultivation & Stewardship
- Research and maintain partnership pipeline and harness networks to make introductions.
- Manage existing partner relationships – to include consistent stewardship and communication, ensuring partners’ needs are met, expectations are aligned, and they see value for their investment.
- Coordinate and support teams across StrongMinds’ offices to manage relationships successfully and play to team strengths and needs.
- Share best practices and learnings; maintain knowledge hub and related communications to partners.
- Coordinate with StrongMinds’ Programs/M & E teams to ensure that organizational metrics reflect partner priorities and investment expectations.
- Represent StrongMinds successfully and deliver StrongMinds’ value proposition/replication offer to a range of audiences.
- Conduct occasional compliance and quality assurance visits to partner sites.
- Support public partner collaboration efforts and initiatives in collaboration with colleagues across StrongMinds offices.
New Systems & Tools
- Update and maintain financial models and develop simplified financial costing summaries to share as part of StrongMinds’ value proposition.
- Support the development of digital tools for partner management/stewardship and reporting, to include coordination of web-based platform development, and improving partner selection and assessment criteria and processes.
- Support development and execution of partner agreements and terms and manage contractual deliverables and reporting in coordination with colleagues.
- Support systemization efforts to codify StrongMinds’ training, supervision, and general partnership strategies.
- Ensure strong and effective co-branding.
- Support joint funding initiatives and consortia-led proposal development.
- Liaise and cultivate relationships with key donors (USAID, DFID, GAC, and others) to prepare for funding opportunities and leverage donor interests and priorities.
- Advocate with donors for increased funding and resources for mental health programs and collaborations.
- Attend and represent StrongMinds at various conferences and events.
Team Development & Management
- Build and supervise the scaling team to include at least one direct report and numerous additional members across other teams.
- Ensure that StrongMinds is able to execute its scaling and replication vision.
- Collaborate with our teams in the US, Uganda and Zambia and work collaboratively to attain scaled impact.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Skills, Abilities, and Experience Required
In addition to the required Qualifications/Education, the successful candidate will possess the following skills, capacities, and experience:
- At least 10 years’ professional experience, ideally working in the global non-profit sector. Global health and/or mental health experience is a plus.
- A proven track record of developing and implementing large, multi-year NGO collaborations and public-private partnerships, with experience in managing substantial partnership teams and targets.
- Extensive experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa.Management and team development experience is a plus.
- Capacity to work independently and to thrive in a fast-paced and results-oriented workplace and in an environment that pivots from strategic to tactical.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to synthesize important information efficiently and effectively.
- Experience serving on technical working groups, councils, professional associations, or related bodies, together with an enthusiasm for networking and connecting individuals and causes.
- Ease and fluency in working across teams, offices, and time zones. Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Curiosity, a love for learning, and a world class sense of humor.
The successful Partnership Director will also be expected to embrace and model StrongMinds’ core values:
- We are people-focused.
- We think big and act fast.
- We are data-driven.
- We do what we say and say what we do.
- We believe in collaboration, not competition.
Location and Travel
This position is flexibly based for the right candidate, with a strong preference for Kampala, Uganda or in the greater New York City or Washington area. StrongMinds is headquartered in Maplewood, NJ and operates in Uganda and Zambia. International and domestic travel may occur approximately 25% of the time.
On/about December 1, 2019
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter and resume to Susan Ryan via email at email@example.com.
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.