Position: Financial Accountant
Reporting to: Senior Director of Operations
Location: Maplewood, New Jersey
StrongMinds is a dynamic and fast-growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, NJ that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women by the end of 2025.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 70,000 women with depression in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with the potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE, the new global mental health movement.
Position: Financial Accountant
As we grow into a $4.7M organization in 2020, we are hiring our first full time (40 hours per week) Financial Accountant to join our small, results-oriented team focused on fueling our rapid scale-up. The Financial Accountant will report to and provide crucial support to the Senior Director of Operations. They will work closely with the field office finance teams as well as program and development staff. The Financial Accountant position will involve the knowledge and application of accounting procedures, generally accepted accounting principles, cost accounting principles and grant management.
This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in a number of different aspects of an entrepreneurial social impact organization with an international focus. It is a great role for someone who can solidly perform the monthly close and wants to increase their experience in and take ownership of budgeting, grant management and financial analysis. There is tremendous room for growth and promotion.
- General accounting functions from source document data capture through financial statement preparation for the US headquarters operations ($1.4M budget, eight-person staff)
- Accounts receivable, accounts payable
- General ledger and chart of accounts management
- Trial balance
- Journal entries
- Year-end closing related filings and schedules
- Various financial reports to stakeholders including consolidated financial statements financial dashboard, cash flow and forecasting
- Proper classification of transactions
- Financial analyses and identification of areas for improvement
- Internal audits and monitoring of internal controls including field office visits
- Funder, programmatic and organizational budget development
- Implementation and monitoring of requirements related to funding agreements
- Global grant compliance and variance to budget analysis
- Restricted funds management
- Funder financial reports
- Audit preparation
- Responsible for keeping the organization compliant with changes in accounting pronouncements
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Abilities & Experience Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business
- Three to five years of international non-profit experience
- Grant management experience, including USAID
- QuickBooks Online proficiency
- Advanced Excel skills (required)
- Quick and deadline focused
- Accurate with attention to detail
- Able to work independently and manage up
- Curious and not shy to ask questions
- Ability to synthesize important information efficiently and effectively
- Humility and an eager desire to learn
- Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of StrongMinds
- World-class sense of humor
The successful Financial Accountant will also be expected to embrace and role model the core values of StrongMinds:
- We are people-focused
- We think big and act fast
- We are data-driven
- We do what we say and say what we do
- We believe in collaboration, not competition
As part of a rapidly growing NGO, this role has the potential for advancement. Smart, aggressive and ambitious candidates are encouraged to apply.
Location and Travel
This position is based in the Maplewood, NJ offices of StrongMinds. Some flexibility in work arrangements may be available for an exceptional candidate. Travel to field offices in Africa once to twice per year may be required.
March 1, 2020
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter and resume to Susan Ryan via email at firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning ‘Accountant’ in the subject line.
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.