Position: External Engagement Coordinator
Reporting to: Director of Development and Communications
Location: Maplewood, New Jersey or Remote
StrongMinds is a dynamic and fast-growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, N.J, that provides free group therapy to women and adolescents suffering from depression in sub-Saharan Africa. Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 80,000 women with depression in Uganda, and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with the potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years. StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes, and the BBC, we are described by Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world.
The External Relations Coordinator will report to the Director of Development and Communications and partner closely with all members of the StrongMinds Development and Communications team. The successful applicant will provide crucial guidance to establish StrongMinds as the leading authority on mental health in Africa among peer organizations, foundations, corporations, the media and other stakeholders.
This exciting role is integral to StrongMinds’ ambitious growth trajectory by increasing brand recognition and funds raised. The External Relations Coordinator, in concert with the Director of Development and Communications, will pursue opportunities to identify and coordinate external engagement opportunities for StrongMinds to include speaking opportunities, fundraising events, media inquiries, and communications efforts with partners.
- Identify and cultivate relationships to expand the exposure and authority of StrongMinds’ CEO and Senior Staff at the right public events, with the right audiences.
- Cultivate and grow press contacts and coverage in key media outlets including landing international media placements, OpEds, and other key media wins.
- Undertake research and outreach to identify prospective funding partners including private foundations, high-net-worth individuals, corporations, and government. (bilateral) grant opportunities and provide synthesized prospect summary documents.
- Coordinate with StrongMinds’ growing network of corporate supporters, create a policy for brand partnerships, and establish a vetting tool and an onboarding process for potential corporate support/collaboration.
- Conduct regular research on venues at which to establish a StrongMinds presence, with the goal of growing our individual donor base.
- Develop materials for StrongMinds leadership for speaking engagements such as talking points, PowerPoint decks, and speeches.
- Identify and form relationships with blogs and other digital outlets to place our messages, resources, and fundraising drives.
- Cultivate and coordinate with partner organizations to share our resources out to their constituents and networks.
- Undertake special projects within the Development Department, such as organizing fundraising events, virtual donor gatherings, and other business development opportunities.
- Undertake other relevant tasks as required in a dynamic, start-up environment.
As part of a rapidly growing NGO, this role has significant potential for advancement within the Development and Communications team. Smart, outgoing, and ambitious candidates are encouraged to apply.
Skills, Abilities & Experience Required:
In addition to the responsibilities and the required Qualifications/Education, there are a number of skills, abilities, and experience that the successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 Years of Professional Experience.
- Extremely detail-oriented and able to keep track of multiple tasks and issues in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent copy-editing skills.
- Willingness to learn and take on multiple assignments in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills without compromising on quality.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of StrongMinds.
- Humility and an eager desire to learn, roll up your sleeves, and contribute to an incredible mission.
Flexible work arrangements available – candidate can either work in the Maplewood, NJ office or remotely from anywhere in the Eastern Standard Time zone.
On/about January 4, 2021
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Susan Ryan, via email at email@example.com mentioning ‘External Relations’ in the subject line.
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.