Position: Development Analyst
Reporting to: Director of Development
Location: Maplewood, New Jersey
StrongMinds is a dynamic and fast-growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, N.J, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women by the end of 2025.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated close to 50,000 women with depression in Uganda, and recently expanded into a second country, Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with the potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE, the new global mental health movement.
We are hiring a Development Analyst to join our small, results-oriented fundraising team focused on fueling our rapid scale-up. The Development Analyst will report to the Director of Development and partner closely with all members of the StrongMinds team. The successful applicant will provide crucial administrative, research, writing and fundraising support to the Director of Development and the Executive Director.
This exciting role is integral to StrongMinds’ ambitious growth trajectory as we dramatically scale our program. Specifically, the Development Analyst, in concert with the Director of Development, will pursue opportunities to raise $12 million + over the next three years by executing important administrative functions, undertaking targeted research of prospective philanthropic partners and by contributing to creative strategies to steward new and existing individual and foundation donors. This is an exciting opportunity to develop a growing social impact career with an international development focus.
- Undertake research to identify prospective funding partners including private foundations, high-net-worth individuals, corporations and government (bilateral) grant opportunities and provide synthesized prospect summary documents.
- Use LinkedIn and other online development tools to research potential connections/ warm leads.
- Compile data and reports that will allow StrongMinds to cultivate existing supporters and build a pipeline of future funding partners.
- Draft and edit reports and concept notes/proposals for existing and prospective funding partners.
- Drive responses to funders’ requests which will involve coordinating with staff to ensure timely completion of grant requirements, including budgets, policies and organizational background information.
- Support and participate in processes that will further strengthen StrongMinds’ existing fundraising practices including entering data into StrongMinds’ CRM, managing donor acknowledgment correspondence, and end-of-year fundraising appeal, etc.
- Ensure key deadlines are clearly documented in team calendars to ensure timely submission of deliverables to funding partners.
- Interact with StrongMinds’ global staff, funding partners and other key stakeholders to execute the Development team’s activities, programs, and events.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director and Development Director (20% of time). Includes: managing travel logistics; assistance coordinating calendar; ensuring they are prepared for all meetings & trips with agendas, bios/background data, ghostwriting email responses, etc.
- Undertake special projects within the Development Department, such as assisting with organizing fundraising events and business development opportunities, as needed.
- Undertake other relevant tasks as required in a dynamic, start-up environment.
- As part of a rapidly growing NGO, this role has significant potential for advancement within the Development team. Smart, aggressive and ambitious candidates are encouraged to apply.
Skills, Abilities & Experience Required:
In addition to the responsibilities and the required Qualifications/Education, there are a number of skills, abilities and experience that the successful candidate will possess:
- 3-5 Years of Professional Experience with 2 years’ experience in grant writing.
- Extremely detail oriented and able to keep track of multiple tasks and issues in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Strong interest in fundraising, non-profits, social entrepreneurship, international
development and/or mental health.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to synthesize important information efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent copy-editing skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Database experience is a huge plus.
- Willingness to learn and take on multiple assignments in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills without compromising on quality.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of StrongMinds.
- Experience in mental health or global health a bonus.
- Humility and an eager desire to learn, roll up your sleeves, and contribute to anincredible mission.
- World-class sense of humor.
The successful Development Analyst will also be expected to embrace and role model the core values of StrongMinds:
- We are people-focused
- We think big and act fast
- We are data-driven
- We do what we say and say what we do
- We believe in collaboration, not competition
Location and Travel
This position is based in the Maplewood, NJ offices of StrongMinds – 30-40 minute train ride from Penn Station, New York. Some flexibility in work arrangements will be accommodated for an exceptional candidate.
On/about July 22, 2019
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter and resume to Susan Ryan, Administrative Assistant, via email at email@example.com.
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.